rag answers ;-)

Nymi

Friesischer GK-Missionar
Lösungen
Bassix
ß2.768.876
Ich habe gerade auf talkbass einen Thread entdeckt, in dem ein junger Kollege, der von einem Ashdown 180er Combo zu einem Gallien-Krueger 700 RB mit einer RBH 210 gewechselt hat, sich beschwert, dass man nu so viele Nebengeräusche hört.

Schaut mal, was Bob Gallien, der Boss himself, ihm darauf antwortet:
Zitat: Originally Posted by rag
Zitat:-Originally Posted by chaunceytoben
Hey all,
I recently purchased a GK 700RB-II off CL, my first high-end (somewhat) amp, along with a GK 210RBH. Previously, I had been playing through a Ashdown EB180 combo, which was a little too warm and vintagey for my tastes. My bass is a EBMM Sterling HS.

Ive noticed my new GK setup seems to amplify fret buzz, movement of my up and down the strings, and worst of all, the act of me fretting a note is amplifyed before i pluck the string with my right hand (kind of like tapping). The initial note is extremely loud, which makes it sound as if im playing the note twice. I played the amp at my local GC before i bought it, and didnt recall this problem. Theyve since sold the 700RB-II, so i have not been able to play another one. However I played thru some Markbass combos and they sounded great (i.e. none of the problems listed above.) This led me to believe that it is not my playing , but perhaps GK amps are just a little unforgiving and I need to work on my technique.

Ive tried to EQ it out, which can be somewhat accomplished thru cutting the treble, but even so the problem persists, with a less satisfying tone. So i just wanted to hear the general preception on these amps, and any tips to solve the problem.

thanks, Adam
I have thought about this question all afternoon. Basically you have stepped from a land yacht into a nitro fueled dragster. These amplifiers (700RB, 1001RB and 2001RB) are designed to give the articulate player tremendous response and control in order to enable them to cut through the mix. The typical GK player has an incredible touch and truly understands his instrument. These amplifiers aren’t street legal, by that I mean they aren’t designed to sound good in your living room, they are designed to sound good on stage with big guitar stacks, big drum kits, loud keys and big time vocals. The basic voicing is the result of input from many of the worlds most articulate players who want to put their sound up front on stage. If you want to make this amp work for you I recommend the following:

Your Guitar (Extremely Important)
Select a string gauge and manufacturer you like then have a qualified tech set the instrument up for them and always use those strings. If you change brands or gauge then have the instrument set up again.

Your technique
You will have to modify your technique. My advise is to take a few lessons from a very good player and work on your touch. Also there are some very good DVDs out there that could be helpful, both Flea and Norm Stockton come to mind. If you check these out pay special attention to their hands and their approach to the string. Of course there are some heavy rockers that can hit the string very hard and still come out true. Duff comes to mind, but then check out his GUNS!

Your 700RB
There are some things you can do to tame your new monster.
1. Set the 5 string switch in. You are not ready for the big stage in your face four string sound yet.
2. Set the presence to zero. Again you have got to have a great touch to use this control.
3. Run the contour low or off, for the same reasons as number 2.
4. Run the amp in bi-amp mode with the horn less than 12:00.
5. Set the High Cut switch in.
6. There is nothing that can be done about the power amp, it is designed to bark and respond promptly to your every command, but the above tips will tame the preamp a bit.

The GK thing is not for every one, but if you put in a little effort you can become a much better player and in return get a lot more out of your playing.

Welcome to the big’s!

Ich finde das cool! [¦)]

Zitat:Original erstellt von: sKu

Hm, den Peil ich jetz nur nicht. Ich dachte, das sei nen kräftiger Tiefbass Bosst, nicht mehr.
Wozu soll das dienen? Leistung "verbrennen"?!
Nein, aber der Sound wird dadurch runder, weicher. Wenn der 5-String-Switch deaktiviert ist, wird der Sound direkter, eben wie Rob schreibt: "the big stage in your face four string sound".

Und der Kollege beschwerte sich ja mehr oder weniger über den zu ehrlichen und zu direkten Ton, der alle Schwächen und Fehler gnadenlos offenbart, nä? [;-)]

[:D] Tja. Da kann er wohl nicht mehr viel gegen sagen.

Aber der Ashdown ist auch nen klasse Amp [:-)][^][;-)]. Aber was an dem zu "vintage" gewesen sein soll ... fetter runder sound ja. Aber des...

Gruß[:-)]

Zitat:Original erstellt von: Nymi

Und der Kollege beschwerte sich ja mehr oder weniger über den zu ehrlichen und zu direkten Ton, der alle Schwächen und Fehler gnadenlos offenbart, nä?

Was soll man da noch dazu sagen? Kauft nen Amp und stellt dann nachher fest, dass er ihm nicht liegt.

Wer nicht richtig testet, ist selbst schuld. [:D]

Zitat:Original erstellt von: Mike`adelic

Zitat:Original erstellt von: Nymi

Und der Kollege beschwerte sich ja mehr oder weniger über den zu ehrlichen und zu direkten Ton, der alle Schwächen und Fehler gnadenlos offenbart, nä?

Was soll man da noch dazu sagen? Kauft nen Amp und stellt dann nachher fest, dass er ihm nicht liegt.

Wer nicht richtig testet, ist selbst schuld. [:D]

Naja er hats ja schon irgendwie positiv formuliert in seiner Mail.

Zurück
Oben Unten