Driver size for upright sound

redtomfunk

redtomfunk

Bassix
ß501
H all,
First of all excuse me to write in english but my german is somewhere in the back of my head. Feel free to answer in German though if you prefer.

In my quest for the sound of my acoustic bass guitar (Marcustico) which in fact sounds much more like an upright I tested the cabs I have and found the following

Tecamp 1x12
I had to exclude the tweeter immediately to avoid feedback from microphone.
The sound was good but a bit towards the low mids and not as dry as I wish for an upright sound.
Since I had the cab in the same stack I tried also my Eich 1x15 (xs) and it was even more bassy obviously so I excluded it.

PJB C4
much more the sound I want. Unfortunately the 5" speakers tended to feed a bit more than the 12" alone so some care was needed. I had to engage a notch filter on my Headway EDB2-HE preamp and keep the speaker high at ear level. Whereas I could play with the bass right in front of the 12" speaker almost no problem.

Now my question.
Are there 12" speakers which can sound a bit more dry than the one I have maybe with an additional 6" driver as the FMC ones or should I just stay below the 10"?

This is because I got quite intrigued by FMC cabs and I guess here there are many people with extensive experience on those cabinets.
I almost made up my mind I wanted a FMC 112 with 6" (and without horn) when after the test I actually thought I needed more something in the direction of a 2x8" or 4x8". But I have not tested those cabs to know and that is why I ask you.
When thinking about 4x8" then there is also the PJB CAB47 (which costs half the price of a FMC 4x8" but afaik the tweeter cannot be turned off in the PJB and that leads to feedback).

I'm not using a Marcustico, but playing double bass about an FMC 2x8... and it works very fine, as I wrote before.. for example here:
Compared to the Hevos 12 it sounds more "natural" and acoustic... If you don't "just" need a lot of punch, but want to hear your acoustic instrument, I would always go for the smaller speakers..To my ears, they work better in such a context...

Ciao @redtomfunk

I think you should directly contact Hans @FMC once he's back from his summer break in a couple of weeks. He is very supportive and capable of advising you to get what you need.

Cheers
claudio

Zurück
Oben Unten