Peavey Bässe

you are gasing again :D
I did plan on buying an Axcelerator 2 TEK last year but they have rosewod fretboards and I waited too long :-( The store was in the USA and had no interest in securing CITES papers for a $299 bass. An American friend bought it and tells me it is really fine :D

My GAS is at rest for now, another lovely Harley Benton PB-50 is in the house :-OStrung through body/2 saddle bridge, La Bella nylon tapes and a hand wound Martin Herrick single coil pickup.

The Scotsman is very happy :bier:
PB 50.jpg

I did plan on buying an Axcelerator 2 TEK last year but they have rosewod fretboards and I waited too long :-( The store was in the USA and had no interest in securing CITES papers for a $299 bass. An American friend bought it and tells me it is really fine :D

My GAS is at rest for now, another lovely Harley Benton PB-50 is in the house :-OStrung through body/2 saddle bridge, La Bella nylon tapes and a hand wound Martin Herrick single coil pickup.

The Scotsman is very happy :bier:
Anhang anzeigen 203637
nice piece but sunburst :D

Oh i love peavey basses though my collection isn't near as big!

My favorite one is my peavey zephyr 4, it is such a pleasure to play and i think it looks beautiful.

Also i'm trying to get my hands on a millenium Bass. 4 and 5 string could you @kodiakblair tell which ones are better built? I am not sure about the quality of the bxp models but i think the ones made in indonesia are good ones, although i avoided bxp series so far because i heard they aren't as good as other series.

Anhänge

• 15226721802254813840817754270407.jpg
    15226721802254813840817754270407.jpg
    188,9 KB · Aufrufe: 199
@EPBBass

You Sir are a man of taste and refinement. The Zephyr basses are one of my favourite Peaveys :-) Your photo shows a particularly fine example :bier:

Are you thinking of both USA and BXP Millenniums ?

Having never owned a 5 string Millennium BXP I cannot comment on them. Of the 4 string BXP Millennium I have owned 2, Chinese and Indonesian. Both were good basses but the Chinese just had that little something special :-)The quilted Violet maple finish was flawless,all frets were good. It was one of the easiest basses to set a low action on.

The Indonesian is still a nice bass,no problems with the neck and the neck has the truss rod adjustment wheel :DLight in weight.Uses the same Korean electrics as the Chinese. Fact is all Peaveys from 96 onwards use Korean electrics,just don't tell the Americans :lechz:

Again when it comes to USA Millenniums I've never owned a 5 string. My 2 are without doubt nice basses but I question the value for money. 2 used BXP can be bought for the price of 1 used USA. On a 4 string I'm not convinced 35" scale is much needed,this may be different with 5 strings but I have no trouble with my 34" Zephyr 5.Aside from the scale length other differences are single coil at neck,sweepable mids preamp and bridge/tuners.

Adding a coil tap switch to the BXP Ac would give you the single coil.A Tone Monster preamp offers sweepable mids and is very easy to fit. If bridge/tuners are faulty then replacing again is easy. For maybe 100 euro you could raise a BXP to almost USA spec. Can't change the scale length sorry :lechz:

USA vs BXP is a strange thing. The Vietnamese Grind BXP is a better built bass than the active USA Grind. Early 35" scale Cirrus BXP are fine basses,later 34" Cirrus BXP show the use of cheaper components ( They still have the Cirrus sound). Last year's Cirrus re-issue from Indonesia looks very interesting but as far as I know none are for sale in Europe:(!

Personally if I was looking for a Millennium in the classifieds or ebay etc I'd look for a Chinese build,easy to spot the headstock has a more defined harpoon shape. Peavey used China for higher models like the Sarzo Cirrus and Zodiac DE and I find they do have a better feel to them. That's not to say I dismiss the Indonesian,just if there was a choice I would opt for Chinese.

If you see a USA 5 string Millennium for 400 - 500 euro BUY IT :bier:

I appreciate your comment and thank you for your fast answer. I really enjoy your posts and comments about peavey basses. So much knowledge about them and so much appreciation for these basses.

As i proudly own an indonesian 35" Grind 5 i will confirm your statement that they are great basses! I also own a 34 zephyr 5 i believe (chrome hardware no serialnumber as my zephyr 4) but it is not as good as the grind. But after your statement i am desperate to try an chinese millennium, to bad i have to wait two month -.-

I would appreciate any Millenium in sunburst or Natural and would like to own both a 4 and a 5 string.

After that i aim for Milestone, just because i want to try them out and they are cheap on ebay.

Also i hope you are able to understand my posts as i am way better in understanding english than i am able to speak or write it.

Edit: i am looking for passive versions of those basses, so the Millennium AC wouldn't be my choice for now.

Edit2: how do i identify a millennium as an USA Millennium?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi @EPBBass

Your English is great, unlike any attempts I could make at German :-) Zephyrs and Grinds, you have great taste :bier:

I saw some American blues band and the bass player uses a passive 5 string Millennium BXP, will try to locate the links.

USA Millenniums are mostly J/MM type basses and have 5 knobs. Some will have the Greek "Delta" symbol on the headstock. One model was passive, it's a 34" scale P/J with 3 knobs. It was a very poor seller so not often saw for sale.

I grew up learning english in school, i doubt you had to learn german as second language, although i had french and spanish as third and fourth language i am barely able to order a beer in those language....

I thought that we might have a similar taste as i've read you bought a HB PB-50, which was my first bass and i still play it regularly.

So the USA versions are mostly active basses, this is not quiet my taste in bass electronic but if i spot one i might give it a try.

I researched a while ago about the zephyr models. Is it true that they are pre cirrus european Modells? Around 2002 i believe i read somewhere on talkingbass or so...

By law, UK schools must teach French for 2 years but with my Scots accent they struggled to teach me English :-O

Grinds,Zephyrs and now PB-50's . We have very similar taste :-) It surprises many that I think so highly of the PB-50. I don't see why that is the case. The bass balances well, has a great neck,tuners and bridge work. Both the Wilkinson and now Roswell pickup sounds good. It's amazing they cost just 100 euro.

Personally I know at least 6 guys who happily gig their PB-50's

The Cirrus was designed back in 1996 so unless the Zephyr appeared earlier than I think it's the bridge between Cirrus and Grind rather than pre Cirrus. There is an a rumour the Grind was a far east design Peavey bought and made their own. While searching for the Vietnamese factory online I saw an unbranded Grind with the "Power Plate" on the headstock. This was before they appeared on the Milestones.

I doubt we will ever know the truth :-)

I thougt about what you said, that the zephyrs are the "missing link" between Grind and Cirrus, but could it just be, that peavey had thrown ot the zephyr at the same time like the grind, but the zephyr is the european only version, for testing the acceptance of the grind design or as a passive "budget" cirrus

Although i am not sure when the first grind rolled out :/

@EPBBass

The Grind is a strange animal :-) When they first went on sale late 2001 they were active basses made in the USA with bolt on necks, the 4 string was a PJ and the 5 JJ. Not particularly successful models, Peavey dropped the USA version mid 2004.

Were Peavey testing the European market for a passive "Cirrus Type" bass ? There's a good chance they were. In America having "Made in the USA" on the headstock is very important, not so important in the EU :-) The Cirrus would have faced stiff competition for similar but cheaper basses from the likes of Ibanez.A cheaper passive version may have made sense.

Perhaps the Zephyr was the test and showed there was a market for passive basses with good looks. 14 years after the active Grinds disappeared the passive Grind is still a stronger seller.

Would make totally Sense...

If so, that could explain the high variaty of designs, from simple c5 without any top, which looks extreme simliar like a grind, over more exotic ones with rosewood top like mine or the on with the quilted maple top you showed me, which will hopefully be mine.

Maybe they tested how much of "boutique " design it takes to sell enough... just some thought of mine..

Many weeks have passed with no Peavey talk :-O Yesterday I experienced enough Peavey to keep me talking for months :D
An English lady crossed the border and brought some of her Peaveys. A 1st generation TL-5, Dyna/Unity Koa, Axcelerator 4 and her secret weapon. A TC Electric 450 head travelled with her too.

First thing I must say is the TC head is great,it's one I'll be looking for. The Axcel 4 was impressive,very clear and defined notes. Gillian prefers the Axcel 5 but then she is a 5 string player,it was the opposite for me. Even with a skinny neck the 4 string was more to my taste.

The Koa Dyna/Unity sounded wonderful. My black Dyna/Unity has SD Basslines,the Koa had stock pickups but we both thought the Koa sounded better. This could be a visual/mental effect :lechz:

Last month my feeling for Super Ferrite pickups wasn't strong,this week I've been favouring SF's. 1st generation TL-5s came with SF's. I was in heaven. Perhaps this was down to the TC head and spending a little time on EQ. The low B was clear deep and had weight.

Lastly the "secret weapon". This was an Indonesian Cirrus 5'er, unlike most I've saw it had a satin finish opposed to the gloss. Played against a couple of USA models, opinion was it looked like a Cirrus,sounded like a Cirrus, it was a Cirrus 8D

Gillian had bought it that morning for £190 :-O Stupid little money for such a fine bass.

18156088_1303452916405575_2704629806702129179_o.jpg 34923371_1721757364575126_4967958658051735552_n.jpg IMAG0817.JPG

Many weeks have passed with no Peavey talk :-O Yesterday I experienced enough Peavey to keep me talking for months :D
An English lady crossed the border and brought some of her Peaveys. A 1st generation TL-5, Dyna/Unity Koa, Axcelerator 4 and her secret weapon. A TC Electric 450 head travelled with her too.

First thing I must say is the TC head is great,it's one I'll be looking for. The Axcel 4 was impressive,very clear and defined notes. Gillian prefers the Axcel 5 but then she is a 5 string player,it was the opposite for me. Even with a skinny neck the 4 string was more to my taste.

The Koa Dyna/Unity sounded wonderful. My black Dyna/Unity has SD Basslines,the Koa had stock pickups but we both thought the Koa sounded better. This could be a visual/mental effect :lechz:

Last month my feeling for Super Ferrite pickups wasn't strong,this week I've been favouring SF's. 1st generation TL-5s came with SF's. I was in heaven. Perhaps this was down to the TC head and spending a little time on EQ. The low B was clear deep and had weight.

Lastly the "secret weapon". This was an Indonesian Cirrus 5'er, unlike most I've saw it had a satin finish opposed to the gloss. Played against a couple of USA models, opinion was it looked like a Cirrus,sounded like a Cirrus, it was a Cirrus 8D

Gillian had bought it that morning for £190 :-O Stupid little money for such a fine bass.

Anhang anzeigen 219924 Anhang anzeigen 219925 Anhang anzeigen 219926
now you`ve got 358 Basses ?:D

I guessed it might have been something like that:bier:.
Many of US can tell similar stories...

So you must be the owner of Edinburgh Castle:rolleyes:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Zurück
Oben Unten